This article covers transferring reports from your computer to another computer or mobile device. For instructions on how to transfer reports from your Companion to another device or computer, follow the links below based on your device:
Transferring a Report Using the Cloud
Using the HG Cloud (part of the Online Services), you can easily transfer reports between computers and devices without the hassle of manually copying files.
- In Desktop Report Writer or HG Companion, click HG Services > Send Report to Cloud.
- Select the report you'd like to transfer and click transfer.
- On your other computer or device, go to HG Services > Get Report from Cloud.
- Select the report and click download.
- Go to Open Reports and see it in the list.
If you are having trouble sending a report to the cloud, click here to view our troubleshooting article.
Multi Inspector Company Transferring Reports
To learn how to transfer a report from one inspector to another inspector follow the instruction in section Sharing Reports Between Inspectors of the article Multi-Inspector: Work Flow.
Owner or Managers of the company will need to move the report in the cloud from one inspector to another.
Manually Transferring Reports to a New Computer
Note: You will need an external storage device, such as an external hard drive or high-capacity thumb drive to complete the steps below.
- Install the latest version of HomeGauge on your new computer.
- From your old computer
- Open your File Explorer and navigate to Documents/HomeGauge
- Right-click the Reports folder and choose copy for all reports, or go into the Reports folder and copy the individual report folder you need.
- Plug in and open your external storage device. Inside the device, right click and choose Paste (or press Ctrl-V)
- Safely remove your external storage device from your old computer
- On your new computer
- Open the external storage device and copy the reports folder.
- Navigate to the Documents/HomeGauge, right-click a blank area and choose Paste (or press Ctrl-V). If prompted to overwrite, choose Yes.
- Open Desktop Report Writer and click Open
- Click the Refresh Database button at the bottom right. It may take a few moments for all of your reports to populate.
Note: If you are upgrading computers, we recommend copying the entire HomeGauge folder from your prior computer before installing HomeGauge on the new computer. Simply copy the HomeGauge folder (using an external storage device) from your old computer's Documents folder to your new computer's Documents folder, then install HomeGauge. If you already had HomeGauge installed on the new computer, you can still copy the folder; however, note that you may need to run the HomeGauge installer again once complete to ensure that any issues caused by different versions are resolved.