Installing Desktop Report Writer to two different locations on your computer will often result in both copies sharing the same data folder, meaning your settings, templates, and reports are identical. You may want to have completely separate data folders if you work for two separate companies or work for a company but also do inspections on your own. Follow the steps below to set this up.
Setting up the new Windows User
- Click Start
- Start typing "add" or "users" and click the Add, edit, or Remove other users option that appears
- In the menu that appears, click Add someone else to this PC
- Click I don't have this person's sign-in information.
- Click Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Fill out the form, being sure not to add an apostrophe to the username you choose (this can cause an error in Desktop Report Writer), e.g. use Dan instead of Dan's Computer
- Click Next
- Select the user you just created
- Click Change account type
- Choose Administrator from the Account type menu and click OK
- Click the X to close this menu
Setting up Desktop Writer
- Click Start
- Click your user profile image and click Sign out. It's important to sign out rather than switch users
- Log in as the new user you created in the previous steps
- Download Desktop Report Writer. You can find the download link on your Dashboard; after logging in, click "Install HG 5" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
- Install Desktop Report Writer, choosing either the default location or the location you installed it on your other account.
Launch Desktop Report Writer. You should see no reports; your templates and settings will be at their default values.
To access your second Desktop Report Writer account with separate settings and data, simply switch between these two Windows User accounts.