What is the HomeGauge Errors & Omission and General Liability insurance program?
HomeGauge has partnered with a sister company to offer Errors & Omissions and General Liability insurance on a per-report basis. This program was specifically designed to keep upfront costs low with an initial fee of $270 for inspectors with no claim history.
Who can purchase the Errors & Omissions and General Liability insurance?
- All qualified HomeGauge inspectors who upload reports via HomeGauge Services or Subscription.
- Currently available in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
- Not available in Hawaii, Indiana, Montana, New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Utah, and Wyoming
- Put your name on the waitlist to be notified when new states are available.
What is eligible for coverage under the Errors & Omissions and General Liability insurance?
- Claims made and reported during the insurance policy period involving qualified report types uploaded to HomeGauge within 3 days of an inspection are eligible for coverage, subject to the terms and conditions of the purchased policy.
- Qualified report types are: Residential or single-family homes, condominium units, Multi-family buildings of 4 units or less.
- Commercial inspections, multi-family units that contain five or more units, and inspections or reports using specials forms are not covered under your HomeGauge E&O/GL policy
What are the coverage limits and deductible?
- $1,000,000 Errors & Omissions limit of liability.
- $1,000,000 General Liability limit of liability.
- $1,000 deductible for claims.
How much does it cost?
There is an initial fee of $270 that covers your first 25 inspections, then reports are charged on a per-report basis. Each inspection report is charged the corresponding rate, based on the tier pricing for the volume performed by your company. The credit card on file will be billed monthly after the appropriate inspection count and rate is tallied for that month. The table below lists the pricing tiers. Each year when you renew the initial $270 is due and the tiers start over.
Inspection Count (Per Year) per company
Total Customer Cost
$270.00 for all 25
$20.00 per inspection
$12.00 per inspection
$7.00 per inspection
How do I make sure my inspections are eligible for coverage?
- Only reports uploaded to the HomeGauge Services account and labeled as the appropriate type are eligible for coverage under this Errors & Omissions and General Liability insurance.
- If it is uploaded to HomeGauge Services, it is counted and charged appropriately whether or not it was distributed. Note: performing an inspection and not uploading it to HomeGauge Services means that a claim arising from a report is ineligible for coverage under this Errors & Omissions and General Liability insurance.
- You will have 3 days from the date of inspection to upload your report. Weekend and holiday days count. Example: inspection on Thursday must have report uploaded by Sunday
- We will count and bill for reports uploaded as types "Inspection Report" and "Re-inspection Report". The other types will not be counted or billed.
- When uploading documents, please choose the correct Document Type so that it is clear if the document should be counted. Commonly used types are: Invoice, Inspection Agreement, Inspection Report (Full Report), and Summary. Common titles are Amended Inspection, Re-Inspection Report, Report for Printing, Sample Report, Attachment Only, Radon Report, Pest Inspection, or Commercial. For article instructions on how to do this (click here).
For a video on How to Upload an E&O Commercial report (click here). The steps work for other types of reports the same way.
Do I have to upload via HG Services to be eligible for coverage?
Yes. Uploading your reports is the only way to confirm the number of inspections conducted. This way you don't have to certify your reports in any other way. The reason we can work with our insurance partners to provide a per-inspection report is because we have a way to determine how many inspections you perform.
Do I have to use HG Scheduler to be eligible for coverage?
No, but it is a great scheduler, and free with HG Services. You should check it out.
Do I have to do a minimum number of inspections in order to be eligible for coverage?
There is no minimum number. Once you pay for the first batch of reports, you're ready to go! If you do less than 25 inspections per year, no problem!
When does coverage start?
You will be notified if your application qualifies you for the insurance. We process applications during normal HomeGauge business hours. You can select a start date within 30 days of applying. Your coverage starts with the purchase date listed on the certificate of insurance.
Are all my inspection reports eligible for coverage from the date I purchase the insurance?
Not necessarily. The inspection must take place after the policy is in effect. All of your timely uploaded reports are eligible for coverage from the inception date of your policy, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. Reports saved to your computer's desktop are not eligible for coverage. Commercial inspection reports and special forms are also not eligible for coverage.
What should I do if I accidentally get billed for an ineligible report?
Alert the Extra Care team at firstname.lastname@example.org and your bill will be adjusted accordingly. Billing errors do not constitute eligibility for coverage.
What if I want to exempt an inspection report from being eligible for coverage, like a sample report or a commercial inspection?
When uploading documents, please choose the correct Document Type so that it is clear if the document is an Invoice, Summary, Inspection, Commercial, Sample, or other form. Commercial inspections and multi-family units that contain five or more units are not covered under your HomeGauge E&O/GL policy.
If you are uploading a "Sample" Inspection report, please remember to list the word "Sample" in the document title and you will not be charged, and the report will not be eligible for coverage. For a video on How to Upload a Sample Report (click here). If it is found that you are inappropriately marking reports as a "SAMPLE" or listing “Commercial” as “Residential” then legal action will be considered.
Am I allowed to amend my reports after uploading?
Adding or changing an item to a report a few days later can be labeled as the type "Amended Inspection Report." This will not be counted or cause an additional fee, but is still covered as part of the original inspection since there wasn't a new visit to the home. All of these changes are stored including who receives the different report versions.
What if I forget to upload a report that I want to be eligible for coverage?
You have 3 days from the date of inspection to upload a report.
What happens if I want to inform you of a potential claim or a claim?
Pursuant to the policy, please contact Wendy Keenan, Esq. at London Fischer LLP, the insurer's claim representative at 212.331.9516 or email@example.com with the report ID, property address, and a brief description of the claim. You'll receive a follow up from a claims representative to gather more information. In the event of a potential claim or claim, please also review the Errors & Omissions and General Liability insurance, which sets forth the requirements for advising the insurer of a potential claim or claim.
Is there a discount?
We kept typical insurance pricing gimmicks like various "discounts" out of this product so that we could offer the best coverage at low per report prices always.
Are inspections involving drones eligible for coverage?
Unfortunately, a claim involving the use of a drone is not yet covered and is specifically excluded by this policy. You will need separate insurance if you are using a drone for an inspection.
Do I have any business property coverage with this agreement?
This policy is for Errors & Omissions and General Liability insurance for your business as you perform inspections on the HomeGauge platform. It does not cover business property.
Can subcontractors be eligible for coverage under this policy and member certificate?
Yes. Reports uploaded to the HomeGauge Services account are eligible for coverage under this Errors & Omissions and General Liability insurance. If it is uploaded to HomeGauge Services, it is counted and charged appropriately whether or not it was distributed. Note: performing an inspection and not uploading it to HomeGauge Services means that report is not covered under this Errors & Omissions and General Liability policy. You will have 3 days from the date of inspection to upload your report for coverage.
How do I cancel if I no longer want the Errors & Omissions and General Liability insurance?
Contact HomeGauge (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let them know that you no longer want to participate in the program. They will send you a confirmation email.
How do I contact someone for general Errors & Omissions support?
You can reach the HomeGauge Errors & Omissions Team directly by email email@example.com or by phone 828-254-2030 Option 3. Support hours are from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Central Time, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.