In the event that you can no longer open a report due to a problem such as a power outage, computer crash or other device failure, your software keeps regular backups that will allow you to open the most recently saved version of a report.
- Click Open button.
- Select the report you'd like to restore to an earlier version.
- Click on the gear button and choose Open Backup for Selected Report.
HomeGauge 3/4 (Note: These instructions also work for 5, in step 4-5 you will instead look for .hr5 files)
- The first step is to identify where the report is kept. If you give your reports a report ID, the folder will use this as its name. However, if you don't use Report IDs, follow the next step to identify where it is located.
- In the Open Report window click on the report in the list, and look at the information box at the bottom, where you will see the folder name, for example:....\HomeGauge\Reports\0000001 — this is where it is stored.
- Open the folder in Windows to recover the report. To do so click StartMyDocumentsHomeGaugeReports0000001 (for example — the folder name will either be a number or the Report ID).
- Here you will see the report files. We will be working with the *.hr3 or *.hr4 files, determined by the version of HomeGauge you are running.
- The file "report.hr4" or "report.hr3" is the file that is having the issues. Rename it to "reportbad" by right clicking and clicking "Rename". Then select the first back-up "report-bak1" and rename it "report". You may or may not see the *.hr3 or *.hr4 extension. This is not an issue, the files will still have the same name.
- Now try to open the Report in HomeGauge again. If it does not open, repeat the process with report-bak2, 3, etc., until it opens.