Copying and pasting template items will bring over everything inside that item. For instance, if you copy an entire component item, it will bring over every inspection item and auto-comment inside that item. If you just copy a single inspection item, it will bring over just the auto-comments associated with it. The methods covered in this article are:
- Copying items between two separate templates
- Copying and pasting template component items
- Copying and pasting template inspection items
- Exporting your entire comment list
Copying Between Two Separate Templates
In order to copy items from one template to another, you must first open up two windows of HomeGauge.
- With HomeGauge already open, right click the HomeGauge icon in your taskbar. A menu box will pop up. Click HomeGauge5.
- A new window of HomeGauge will open. You may need to shrink the window to see them both.
- You can switch between the two windows by hovering over the icon in the taskbar. You can then click on one of those thumbnails to go into it.
Now that you have two HomeGauge windows open, you will have to open your templates. Each window will need to display a different template. One window will show the template that contains the item(s) you want to copy, the other template will be the one you paste the item(s) into.
Copying Template Components
- If copying from one template into another follow the setup instructions above to open two templates, otherwise continue if copying components inside one template.
- Navigate to the Components section and select the Component you would like to copy and select it with your cursor. Shown is a template that contains a Component titled "Kitchen Components and Appliances" that will be copied.
- Click Copy T from your template toolbar.
- Navigate to the Components section where you would like the copied component.
- Click Paste T from your template toolbar. This will paste the Component at the bottom of the list.
- You may now re-position the item using the Up T and/or Down T buttons in the template toolbar.
- Be sure to save your template by clicking Save T.
Copying Inspection Items
- If copying from one template into another follow the setup instructions above to open two templates, otherwise continue if copying inspection items inside one template.
- Navigate to the inspection item you want to edit. Click to highlight it.
- Click the Copy T button.
- Navigate to the Component were you would like add the copied inspection item.
- Click the Paste T button. The inspection item will be added to the bottom of the inspection item list and can be moved by using the Up T and Down T buttons.
- Save the template by clicking Save T in the toolbar or clicking File > Save Template.
Copying Your Entire Comment List
HomeGauge gives users a way to export your entire comment list from your template and import it into a completely new template.
- Open the template that contains the comments you wish to export.
- Navigate to Template > Export Comments.
- You will be prompted to save the file onto your computer. Choose a location that you can easily find and name the file. Examples include my comments, or template comments.
- Click New and then Select Report Template. Select the template you wish to have the new comments in.
- Click Template > Import Comments
- Locate the template file and click Open.
- You may see a message indicating conflicts with comment IDs. This most likely is from the imported comments being identical to ones currently on the template. You can chose not to import those comments, overwrite existing ones, or add as a new comment.
- Once completed, you will get a messaged that the import was successful, how many comments have been changed or added, and how many replacement text blocks have been changed or added.
If you complete the import process and are unable to locate a particular comment in your global list, it is usually because the comment has been placed under a different category. Click Template > All Comments to view your global list and locate Filter on the left. Use this to type in keywords within the comment to verify that it is indeed on your template. If you must find the location of this comment:
- Navigate into an inspection item and click the button Insert Auto-Comment.
- Click the button Insert Comment From Global List (seen as the orange + button).
- Use the Filter function to find that comment and click OK to add it to that inspection item.
- Once added, you can look at the category to find where that comment is located in your global list.
Please sign in to leave a comment.