Section containers in Desktop Report Writer are organizational tools for your components and inspection items. This article will guide you on how to add, edit, and delete section containers within the application.
Section container titles do not appear in your report; therefore, it is not recommended to rely on section containers to categorize your report for customers.
Adding a Section Container
- Open your template inside of Desktop Report Writer
- Click the section container to view components. The first default section container is called Components.
- At the bottom of the list of component items, locate the text for Create New Section Container and click it.
- Type in a title for the section container and click OK.
- The new section container will now appear at the end of the list of your already existing section containers.
- You must add components and inspection items to any new section containers created; by default, new section containers are empty. For more information, please visit the article Desktop Report Writer: Template Maintenance Inspection Items.
- If you want to change the position of the section container in relation to the existing ones, click on the section container name and then use the Move Up and Move Down buttons.
Editing a Section Container
- Click on the section container's name that you wish to edit.
- Click Modify Section Container.
- Retype the name and click OK.
Deleting a Section Container
- Click on the section container's name that you wish to delete.
- Click Delete Section Container.
If you delete a section container, it will delete all of the contents inside of it. This includes component items and inspection items. This cannot be undone unless you reload the template without saving any changes. If you intend to delete a section container, move any component items to a different section or verify that the items are no longer needed. For directions, please visit the section Copy a Component in Desktop Report Writer: Template Maintenance Components.
iOS Companion Users
The iOS version of the Companion requires a template to have exactly two component sections. When downloading templates & settings into the Companion, you may see: "Template Error: Template does not have exactly 2 Section Containers. Please select a different template."
In this case, you will need to either add or remove section containers to meet the requirement of two section containers. If you have just a single-section container, the solution is simple: simply add a new container. It doesn't matter what you name it. If you have more than two containers, you must consolidate the items into the other containers until you just have two. Send the template back into the cloud and re-download it to your device.