The HG Companion application allows you to use many of the desktop software's report writing tools on a mobile device such as a phone or tablet. While using the Companion, you have the freedom to navigate through the home and still be able to write comments, take photos of deficiencies, and make inspection checks. This article will explore how to edit a report on the HG Companion for iOS and it's features.
The HomeGauge Companion on iOS has both dark and light modes. In version 6 and above, this mode is dependent on the global display settings on your device. This is in accordance with Apple's app development standards. To change the view mode, open your device's settings and navigate to Display & Brightness > Appearance and change the selection. HomeGauge will now display as desired.
When opening the HomeGauge Companion for the first time, it's important to sign in and download templates.
- Click Menu > HG Services.
- Click on Username and Password to enter your login credentials. After you are signed in, you can use the other options to get cloud templates, appointments or reports.
When you first open the HG Companion, you will be brought to the main home screen.
By default, the home screen will always show the sections for Customer, Report Info, Misc and Select Report Template.
The Menu button, shown above, will display options such as New Report, Open Report, Save Report, More, HG Services, and About.
Starting a Report
You can either start a new report from the companion, download an existing appointment, or start from a cloud report.
Start a New Report From the Companion
- From the Home Screen, click into sections for Customer, Report Info, Misc (if appropriate) and fill out the info.
- Click Select Report Template and select a template to start.
Start a Report From a Downloaded Appointment
- From the Home Screen, click Menu.
- Click HG Services > Appointments.
- If you want to download a single appointment, click into that appointment and the click Save in the top corner. For downloading multiple appointments at once, click Select in the top corner and place a check next to each appointment you would like to download. Click Import.
- Access the Home Screen again and click Menu > Open Report.
- Select the appointment you previously downloaded and click Open.
- Select a template and begin the inspection.
Start a Report From a Cloud Report
- Access the Home Screen.
- Click Menu > HG Services > Get Report From Cloud.
- Select the report you would like to download and click Download.
- Access the Home Screen again and click Menu > Open Report.
- Select the report you previously downloaded and click Open.
- Select a template if necessary, or continue the inspection from where left off.
Selecting a Template
When you click Select Report Template, you are able to select from the templates currently on the device. Use the drop down near the top of the page to access the template categories.
Click on one of the templates to select it.
Navigating Through a Report
When a template has been selected and you are working in an active report, all the component sections will be listed on the Home Screen. Scroll through and click on the item you wish to edit.
Within each section, you can return to the previous page by clicking on the navigation button in the top left.
Making Inspection Checks
When inside an component section, you will find your column headers underneath each inspection item.
Click on each one to make an inspection check. The column header will be shown highlighted with an orange rectangle.
In order to add comments, click the arrow next to an inspection item.
Click anywhere in the Empty Comment box to add, edit or itemize a comment.
A box will appear containing different actions available.
Some of the notable options include:
- Add Autocomment Here - Add an autocomment from your local comment list.
- Edit This Comment - Type in a comment using your device's keyboard.
- Add Itemized Item - Add an itemization to the inspection item.
- Erase Comment - Erases all text to start over.
With iOS you can use your device's internal text-to-speech mechanic to turn spoken comments into text. Click Edit This Comment to bring up the comment box and the onscreen keyboard. Click the microphone button in the keyboard and, when prompted, speak the comment into your device.
Check Your Answers
Above the comment box you will find the below icon. You can click that to access the CYA feature for the current inspection item you are in. The CYA will provide a list of things to look out for involving that item and is great for new inspectors.
Styles & Materials
To get to the Styles & Materials for an inspection item, click on the Styles & Materials button found at the bottom of the screen while inside a component item.
Use the drop down at the top of the screen to navigate through the styles. Click on an item to highlight a material option.
Click the Overview button at the bottom of the screen to go into the section overview.
You can edit the intro or footer paragraphs by clicking the Edit buttons. You can add section overview photos by clicking the Section Pictures button at the bottom and add a photo like normal.
When in the comment editing section, you can add media, such as photos and videos, to a report. Click one of the buttons below the comment box to add the media of your choice.
The icons from left to right are the following:
- - review added photos/videos, or add media from device
- - take a video for a new itemized section
- - take a video for the current section
- - take a photo for a new itemized section
- - take a photo for the current section
When you click the photo or video buttons, your device's camera will open, allowing you to take a photo or video. Once taken, the photo will show on the review screen. You may also see that the number at the bottom of the comment section will change to reflect the newly taken photo or video. Use this to confirm that media has be added.
Click the button on the far left (symbolized by a film canister) to go inside the review section. Here you may cycle through the photos and videos for the current itemization and review what is attached to the comment.
Add a picture label by clicking in the area underneath the image buttons and typing a label. You can click the button that looks like a magic wand to access the picture label auto-comments. Use the camera and video buttons to snap another photo or video.
The buttons with folder icons, and , will allow you to access your device's film strip and add media taken outside of the HG Companion. Orange will access videos and green will access photos.
Click the Menu in the top right corner to delete the picture/video or change the order of the items.
Reviewing the Report
From the Home Screen, you can view the summary by scrolling all the way to the bottom and clicking Summary.
Each summary item will be shown with their accompanying photos. Swipe the screen right and left to navigate through the items. Use this feature if you want to review the major concerns with a customer at the time of inspection.
Sending a Report to the Cloud
When the inspection is complete, send the report to the cloud for later retrieval onto the desktop version of HomeGauge. Access the Home Screen and then click Menu > HG Services > Send Current Report to Cloud.
You may save the report and close the companion.
For information on how to download the report from the cloud to your computer, click here.