Transfer Report to Companion, Desktop, or other Computer
Topics in this article
- Transferring a Report Using the Cloud
- Manually Transferring Reports to a New Computer
- Manually Transferring a Report from the Android Companion
- Manually Transferring a Report from the iOS Companion
Transferring a Report Using the Cloud
Using the HG Cloud (part of the HG Services) you can easily transfer reports between computers and devices without the hassle of manually copying files.
- In your HomeGauge desktop software or HG Companion, click HG Services -> Send Report to Cloud. Select the report you'd like to transfer and click transfer.
- On your other computer or device go to HG Services -> Get Report from Cloud. Select the report and click download.
- Go to Open Reports and you will see it in the list.
Manually Transferring Reports to a New Computer
Note: You will need an external storage device such as an external hard drive or high capacity thumb drive to complete the steps below.
- Install the latest version of HomeGauge on your new computer.
- From your old computer
- Open your File Explorer and navigate to Documents/HomeGauge
- Right click the Reports folder and choose copy.
- Plug in and open your external storage device. Inside the device, right click and choose Paste (or press Ctrl-V)
- Safely remove your external storage device from your old computer
- On your new computer
- Open the external storage device and copy the reports folder.
- Navigate to the Documents/HomeGauge, right click a blank area and choose Paste (or press Ctrl-V). If prompted to overwrite, choose Yes.
- Open the HomeGauge Software and click Open
- Click the Refresh Database button at the bottom right. It may take a few moments for all of your reports to populate.
Note: If you are upgrading computers, we recommend copying the entire HomeGauge folder from your prior computer before installing HomeGauge on the new computer. Simply copy the HomeGauge folder (using an external storage device) from the Documents folder of your old computer to the Documents folder of your new computer, then install HomeGauge. If you already had HomeGauge installed on the new computer, you can still copy the folder over, but please note you may need to run the HomeGauge installer again once complete to ensure that any issues caused by different versions are resolved.
Manually Transferring a Report from the Android Companion
We recommend using the HG Cloud for transferring reports, but if you have a report that is too large or your internet isn't working correctly, use the following steps to manually transfer your report:
- Connect your Android phone to your computer via USB.
- You may see an installation bubble pop up in the bottom right of your screen. Wait for the computer to successfully complete installation.
- On your Android phone, pull down the notification window and tap the USB Connected or Charge Via USB. Select the option that says "Transferring Media Files" or similar to allow access to the files.
- The default location for the HomeGauge data folder on Android is /mnt/sdcard/HomeGauge, but can vary depending on the device. To find the location you can go to Options -> HomeGauge Data Folder in the HG Companion.
- Once inside of the HomeGauge folder there are two sub folders called Reports and Templates. Both of the these folder have sub-folders. Each template is stored in one whole file with the extension "*.ht5". Templates are also stored in other folders like "Templates/Residential" for organization. Each report is stored in its own folder under the Reports folder, which are either names with the next sequential number like (0000458) or are named using the Report ID. Note: Using the Report ID field is very helpful in moving reports.
- Choose the files or folders you'd like to transfer and copy them using Ctrl-C or right click and choose Copy.
- Navigate to Documents/HomeGauge on your computer. Copy any reports to the Reports folder and templates to the Templates folder.
- Safely eject the Android device.
Note: To move files from the HomeGauge software to the Companion, you will follow the same steps as a above, simply copying the files or folders from your Documents/HomeGauge folder to the location specified on your device.
Manually Transferring a Report from the iOS Companion
To retrieve a report from iOS companion, you must have iTunes installed.
- Plug your device into computer via USB.
- Click the icon for the device in the upper left corner.
- Click Apps in the left menu (directly below Summary).
- Scroll to the bottom to the section labeled File Sharing.
- There are 2 columns, click HomeGauge Companion in the Apps column.
- Then click the folder labeled HomeGauge in the Documents column.
- Click the button in the lower right that says "Save to..."
- Save the folder to an easily accessible location on your computer such as the desktop. This will save the entire HomeGauge folder from your iOS device.
- You can now open the folder you downloaded from the device and open the Reports subfolder.
- Copy the folder for the report you need and paste it into Documents/Homegauge/Reports (not the same HomeGauge folder you just downloaded, this is the HomeGauge folder that your regular software reads from in your documents folder).
- Open the software, click Open then Refresh Database. You will now be able to open the report you downloaded from your iOS device.
- Once complete you can remove the HomeGauge folder you created in Step 8 from your desktop.
If you try to send a report to the cloud and get these error messages you can follow the tips below for a solution.
"Failed to send report to the cloud" Unable to resolve host www.homegauge.com. No address associated with host name.
- Make sure the clock on your phone or tablet is set to the correct date and time. We use a secure connection for file transfers, and if the date and time are wrong, the secure connection won't work.
- If you are not on WiFi, check to see if you have the option selected to only allow transfers over WiFi. You can find this in the HomeGauge Companion by going to the menu -> More -> General and un-check the box to only allow connections over WiFi.
- Fully reboot your mobile device and try again.
"Failed to send report to the cloud. Posted content length of (xxxxxxxx) exceeds limit of (xxxxxxxx).
- This error (and occasionally the first error message) indicates that your report is larger than the 200MB Cloud Transfer limit. You will need to manually transfer the report in this case.
- To prevent this in the future on Android devices in particular, make sure that you are using a third party camera app such as OpenCamera which allows you to reduce your photo resolution. We recommend a setting of approximately 1280x720 or 1MP. Similarly, set your video resolution to a lower option if you include video in your report.
Note: The reason why we limit the transfer to 200 MB is to prevent timeouts during the cloud transfer process. There is currently no way to increase this limit.